Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Choose the correct sentence among A, B, C or D which has the same meaning as the given one.

SENTENCE TRANFORMATION

Choose the correct sentence among A, B, C or D which has the same meaning as the given one.

1. I’d rather you stop talking about her.

A. I’d rather stop talking about her.

B. I prefer you not to talk about her any more.

C. I’d rather you not talk about her.

D. I want you to talk about her.

 

2. Your refusal to attend the party made every sad.

A Every felt sad attending the party.

B Everyone felt sad when you refused to attend the party.

C Your attendance at the party made every feel sad.

D You made everyone sad about your refusal to throw the party.

 

3. Mr. Smith is now the fifth wealthiest man in this city.

A Mr. Smith is wealthier than five people in this city.

B No one in this city has more wealth than Mr. Smith.

C Mr. Smith is the wealthiest one in this city.

D Only four people in this city are wealthier than Mr. Smith.

 

4. California attracted people from many countries when gold was discovered in 1848.

A Discovered in 1848, gold was attractive to people in California.

B Discovered in California in 1848, gold attracted people from many countries there.

C Gold in California was discovered in 1848 after many people came here.

D When people are attracted to California, they discovered gold in 1848.

 

5. Mr. Brown said “Could you please wait here about haft an hour?”.

A Mr. Brown asked me if I had been able to wait there about the haft an hour.

B Mr. Brown asked me if I could wait there about haft an hour.

C ---------------------me to wait there about haft an hour.

D ---------------------me if I was pleased to wait there about haft an hour.

 

6. Mary said, “Would you like some tea, Peter ?’’

A Mary asked Peter to make her some tea.

B Mary wanted to know if Peter likes tea.

C Mary offered to make some tea for Peter

D Mary and Peter asked for some tea to drink.

 

7. “Excuse me. Do you do alternations?”

A She excused me for doing alternations.

B She asked me to do alternations.

C She asked me if we did alternations.

D She would like to excuse for her alternations.

 

8. Nobody has made any mistakes. In the passive voice this should read:

A No mistakes have been made.

B Any mistakes have been made.

C Mistakes haven’t been made.

D No mistakes have made.

 

9. The music was so loud that we couldn’t what you said.

A You didn’t say loud enough for us to hear.

B Because of the loud music, we couldn’t hear you.

C The music was too loud that we couldn’t hear you.

D The music was too loud for us to hear.

 

10. Mike has eaten lots of ice-cream and now he has a headache.

An If Mike didn’t eat much ice-cream, he wouldn’t have a headache.

B If Mike hadn’t eaten much ice-cream, he wouldn’t have a headache.

C Mike had a headache because he had eaten lots of ice-cream.

D If Mike hadn’t eaten much ice-cream, he wouldn’t have had a headache.

 

11.Refusal to give a breath sample to the police could lead to your arrest.

A You could be arrested for not giving a breath sample to the police.

B If you refuse to be arrested, you have to give a breath sample.

C If a breath sample is not given, the police will refuse to arrest you.

D The police could cause you to give a breath sample to decide whether to arrest you or not.

 

12. In spite of their differences, Peter and John plan to be roommates.

A Peter and john don’t like each other.    B Peter and John will be different roommates.

C Peter and John are too different to be roommates.

D Peter and John intended to be roommates even though they are different.

 

13. He now goes to work on his bike instead of the car.

A He still goes to work by car but more often on his bike.

B He has now stopped driving to work by car but more often on his bike.

C He has never gone to work in his car but always on his bike.

D Since he bought the car, he has never used the bike to go to work.

 

14. I wish you would see a doctor.

A I’m glad the doctor is coming.

B I don’t mind if you go to a doctor.

C I hope a doctor come to see you.

D I think you ought to go to a doctor.

 

15. I‘ve a good mind to start learning Russian.

A I’m clever enough to start learning Russian.

B I think I’ll start learning Russian.

C I’ve started learning Russian and I enjoy.

D The Russian I’ve learnt is very useful to me.

 

16.Our teacher gave us some news which seemed too good to be true.

A We couldn’t easily believe the news because it was very good.

B It was excellent news, so we knew it must be true.

C The news he gave us was good, but of course it wasn’t true.

D Our teacher told us that true news is always good news.

 

17. She isn’t quite tall enough to reach up and open the door.

A She can’t reach up to open the door because she is too short.

B She isn’t tall, but she can just manage to reach up and open the door.

C She’s much too short to reach up and open the door.

D She’s quite tall, but she still can’t reach up to open the door.

 

18. “ you must be the mother of these children.” The doctor said to her.

A He told her she could be the children’s mother if she wanted.

B He said, “I’ll force you to be the mother of these children.”

C He told her she must take better care of the children…..

D He said to her, “You’re these children’s mother, aren’t you?”

 

19. “No” he said. “ I don’t mind getting a newspaper for you “.

A He told me he didn’t remember getting a newspaper for me.

B “No” he said, “I forgot to get a newspaper for you.”

C At first he refused but then he agreed to get a newspaper for me.

D He said, “Yes, I’ll get the newspaper for you. “

 

20. I wish David was playing for us today.

A We’re lucky that David’s playing for us today.

B If David’s playing for us today, we’ll win.

C I’m sorry David isn’t in our team today.

D I hope David will manage to get in the team today.

 

21. Miss Brown was known to be in New York in 1978.

A In 1978, Miss Brown wished to live in New York.

B Miss Brown was quite famous in New York in 1978.

C In 1978 New York was well known to Miss Brown.

D It’s the fact that Miss Brown was in New York in 1978.

 

22. I’m sorry I haven’t finished my assignment yet.

A It’s my sorry not to finish      ---------------------

B I am apologising not to finish---------------------

C Please apologise me for not finishing my assignment yet.

D My assignments are not finished yet so i am very sorry.

 

23. He could have gone by bus and so saved a lot of money.

A He wouldn’t have saved much if he had taken the bus.

B He would have gone by bus if he had saved money for the fare.

C He traveled by bus, and it didn’t cost him much.

D He would have spent less money if he had traveled by bus.

 

24.What a surprise to see you here!

A Nice to meet you here.

B Fancy seeing you here.

C surprisingly, you are here.

D Seeing you here is no surprise to me.

 

25. “If only I’d learnt to drive.” Roger said.

A Roger thinks there are too many drivers on the roads.

B Roger is glad he learnt to drive.

C Poger wishes he could drive.

D Roger is sorry that he ever learnt to drive.

 

26. It’s a pity that my brother hates to study.

A Whenever my brother studies he feels sorry.

B What a pity that my brother didn’t study.

C It is too bad that my brother hates to study.

D I pity my brother loving to study.

 

27. Mr. Bridges is by far the richest man I know.

A Mr. Bridges is the richest man in my country.

B ---------------- one of the many very rich men I know.

C ---------------- is richer than all his friends.

D ---------------- is much richer than anyone else I know.

 

28. It’s unlikely to rain this afternoon.

A The afternoon looks like being dry.

B There is no chance of rain this afternoon.

C The afternoon will probably be wet.

D It will rain this afternoon.

 

29. Studying all night is good for neither your grades nor your health.

A Studying all night is good for your grades.

B ----------------------------------- your health.

C --------------------- doesn’t help at all.

D --------------------- is helpful for you.

 

30. It is open to question as to whether Jones will get the Job.

A The question is whether Jones will get the job or not.

B Jones is being interviewed for the job.

C It is not certain that Jones will get the job.

D If Jones could answer the question, she would get the job.

 

31. Mary and Tom had a long discussion about their problem but they fail to solve it.

A A long discussion about their problem had been discussed but they didn’t solve it.

B Mary and Tom discussed their problem at length but failed to solve it.

C ----------------- couldn’t solve their problem although they discussed long.

D Although Mary and Tom had a long discussion about their problem, but they couldn’t solve it.

 

32. It has been 14 years since I last saw my brother.

A I didn’t see my brother 14 years ago.    B I see my brother once every 14 years.

C I haven’t seen my brother for 14 years.  D My brother is 14 years old.

 

33. Mrs. Mason said, “Janet may have gone to the cinema.”

A Mrs. Mason wasn’t sure where Janet had gone.

B -------------- knew Janet had gone to the cinema.

C Janet was allowed to go to the cinema.

D Janet had certainly not gone to the cinema.

 

34. The train was due to leave five minutes ago.

A The train is 5 minutes late in the evening.

B The train was supposed to leave 5 minutes ago.

C The train left on time.

D Both A and B are correct.

 

35. By next August, Charles will have worked here for 7 years.

A Charles is at present working here.

B Charles has now worked here for 7 years.

C Charles is going to work here for the next 7 years.

D Charles no long works here.

 

36. The women were just not strong enough to have caused so much damage.

Not much damage was caused because the woman was very weak.

B Someone else, not the woman, caused the damage.

C The woman was not strong, but she caused great damage.

D The woman, though quite strong, caused a little damage herself.

 

37. She should take some forms of identification, shouldn’t she?

A It might be best if she took some forms of identification with her, mightn’t it?

B She’d better take some forms of identification with her, hadn’t she?

C She would take some forms of identification with her, wouldn’t she?

D Both A and B are correct.

 

38. In personality, he takes his mother, not his  father.

A His characteristics are the same as his mother.

B Personally, ha takes after his mother, not his father.

C He looks like his mother, not his father.

D He takes care of his mother by himself.

 

39. There is to be no talking whatsoever during the exam.

A Candidates will not be allowed to talk at all.

B Silence is to be observed throughout the exam.

C Talking whatsoever is not permitted while the exam.

D He (she) is not let to talk during the exam.

 

40. George is not nearly as energetic as he used to be.

A George used to be considerably more energetic than he is now.

B George used to have much more energy than he is now.

C -----------------     be energetic and not now any more.

D George is very energetic now but he used to not to be so.

 

41. Kingsley Learn Russian in 6 weeks, which was not bad going to him.

A The fact that Kingsley learnt Russian in 6 weeks was not bad at all.

B It was not bad that Kingsley went to Russia for 6 weeks to learn Russian.

C To have learnt Russian in 6 weeks was not bad going for Kingsley.

D That Kingsley learns Russian in 6 weeks was good experience for him.

 

42. Although the dog appeared harmless, it was, in fact, quite dangerous.

A Contrary to appearance, the dog was, in fact, quite dangerous.

B Although the dog appeared quite harmless, it was, on the contrary, was quite dangerous.

C --------------------------------------------------, but it was quite dangerous.

D Despite its harmless appearance, the dog, however, is quite dangerous.

 

43. Nobody is to blame for the fact that the meeting was cancelled.

A Everybody is responsible for the cancelled meeting.

B  Nobody should be held responsible for the fact that the meeting was cancelled.

C It’s nobody’s fault that the meeting was cancelled.

D Both B and C are correct.

 

44. “All right, Jenny, you may pay for the coffee if you insist.”

A Jenny wants to pay for the coffee.

B Jenny would pay if she had enough money.

C Jenny is being asked to pay for the coffee.

D It’s Jenny’s duty to pay for the coffee.

 

45. Linda was told that unless she came to work regularly, she would lose her job.

A Linda was going to work because she had lost her job.

B Linda had lost her job because she was often absent from work.

C Linda hadn’t yet lost her job.

D Linda went to work regularly.

 

46. Most students in the class get good grades, but Heary is the exception.

A Heary made the best grade in his class.      B heary is an exceptionally good student.

C Heary classmates receive good grades, but he doesn’t.

D Heary is one of the better students in his class.

 

47. Peter and Lucy had a quarrel, but they soon made up.

A Peter and Lucy made a mistake but they soon corrected it.

B ------------------ hate each other since their argument.

C ------------------ had a quarrel, but they soon let it go.

D ------------------ had an argument, but now they are friends again.

 

48. Not until I meet Jack did I get some news about you.

A I didn’t get any news about you until I met Jack.

B Jack shouldn’t have told me news about you.

C Until I met Jack I got some news about you.

D As soon as I got news about you, I met jack.

 

49. They said that Paula had quit five jobs before working for us.

A Paula was said that she had quit five jobs before working for us.

B They said that five jobs had been quit by Paula before working for us.

C Paula worked for us then she quit five other jobs.

D It was said that Paula had quit 5 jobs before working for us.

 

50. It turned out that I had been worrying about my cat unnecessarily.

A I shouldn’t have worried about my cat.

B My cat turned out to be worried.

C I turned out to be worrying.

D I needn’t have worried about my cat.

 

51. If only I had not signed the contract without reading it.

A I had signed the contract before I read it.

B I had read the contract. I would have signed it.

C I regret having read the contract and signing it.

D I regret signing the contract after reading it.

 

52. Unless you have seen me doing it, you wouldn’t have accused me.

A You could accuse me because you saw me doing it.

B You didn’t see me doing it, so you couldn’t accuse me.

C You accused me, but you didn’t sew me doing it.

D I was accused though you didn’t see me doing it.

 

53. The Minister said that he had not done anything improper.

A The Minister denied doing anything improper.

B ------------------------ that he would do anything improper.

C The Minister refused to have done anything improper.

D ---------------------------- do anything improper.

 

54. You’d better be off unless you want me to lose my temper.

A You should take your coat off if you don’t want me to lose my temper.

B Provided that you set off, I will not lose my temper.

C You should leave if you don’t want me to get angry.

D Only if you go do I lose my temper.

 

55. If we don’t speed up, we’ll be late.

A We need to speed up otherwise we’ll be late.

B ------------------------- or else       -------------

C Unless we don’t speed up, we won’t be not.

D As soon as we will speed up, we won’t be late.

 

56. “I wish you’d sit still!” , said the artist “ How do you expect me to paint you when you keep jerking your head?”.

A The artist refused to paint me because I kept jerking my head.

B ----------- would rather I sat still and complained about me jerking my head.

C ----------- told me to sit still and asked how I expected him to paint me when I kept jerking my head.

D The artist said that he expected me to sit still without jerking my head.

 

57. It was only when I left home that I realized the meaning of “family”.

A I realized the meaning of “family” before I left home.

B Only when I left home I realized the meaning of “family”.

C Not until I left home did I realize the meaning of “family”.

D I didn’t leave home until I realized the meaning of “family”.

 

58.I took Janet to the zoo so that she could see how big an elephant is.

A With a view to see how big an elephant is, I took Janet to the zoo.

B So as to see the elephant, I took Janwet to the big zoo.

C Because Janet was big enough, I took her to the zoo to see the elephant.

D I took Janet to the zoo how big an elephant is.

 

No comments: