Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Idioms connected with: MY WORK

to have the devil’s own job (level: advanced)
to spend a lot of time and make a lot of effort to do something difficult and demanding
He had the devil’s own job to finish this project on time.
to land a job (level: upper intermediate)
to find a job
After being unemployed for 3 years, he finally landed a job.
It’s more than my job’s worth. (level: upper intermediate)
I can’t do it because I could lose my job.
Sorry, I can’t share this information with you, it’s more than my job’s worth.
nine-to-five job (level: upper intermediate)
a typical 8-hour job
She found her nine-to-five job too monotonous and boring, so she is self-employed now.
to be snowed under with work (level: advanced)
to have a lot of work to do, more than usually
Sorry, I can’t go out tonight… I need to stay at work, because I’m snowed under with work.
no gain without pain (level: upper intermediate)
no money, other benefits without making effort
I often stay at work until late to earn some extra money. It’s tiring, but no gain without pain, after all.

Source: http://speaking24.com/conv/my_work.html

No comments: